With one of the grayest, rainiest winters the South Bay has seen in years behind us (hopefully!) the forecast shows blue skies ahead! This weather has us feeling inspired to bring the sunshine inside and give our own living spaces a spring makeover.
We are also pulling inspiration from this Avenue C listing (3 Bed, 3 Bath, 6,084) which perfectly exemplifies a light and bright style, while still remaining the ideal blend of comfortable and stylish.
While it may be hard to completely capture a newly constructed house’s fresh feel in your home, we have gathered a few tips to help brighten things up this spring! Some are simple and some are more detailed, but even just one or two subtle changes can spring-ify your home!
- Mirrors aren’t just for checking your hair! Place a large mirror directly across from a window to reflect light all around the room. Or hang a few small ones on a wall perpendicular to the window to subtly bounce light around a room.
- Just add white..or off white.. or eggshell. A fresh coat of paint around door frames, stair case banisters and window paneling will do wonders! Hack – If you aren’t up for painting, just give frames, banisters and paneling a good scrub down to get rid of finger prints and accumulated dust.
- Change out those curtains. Get rid of any heavy or insulated curtains that you were using during the winter and replace them with light-colored airy ones. This can be applied all around your home – from the kitchen to the living room and even your bedroom (lighten up your bedding colors and fabric for a full transformation!)
- Raise the roof (not literally). Many homes (especially those in the Golden Hills) have vaulted painted ceilings or even wood paneled ceiling applications. While these higher ceilings do create a larger feel in the room, without the correct lighting and appropriately located windows they can leave a room feeling dim. Recessed lighting fixtures or commonly referred to as “can lights” help to brighten up the ceiling without being obtrusive to the eye. Some options even include a dimmer switch to allow for flexible lighting control.
- Keep it low. According to Designer Blair Gordon “Streamlined furnishings with low-slung profiles help rooms feel more spacious.” While you are at it, opt for white furniture, rather than dark colors. Think white bookcases, cream couches, and white tables… especially if you have dark wood floors!
- While it would be nice to put in a few windows or a sky light, it is much easier to add some artificial lighting! Try Bright White LED bulbs to maximize the brightness coming from your lamps. Or add a table lamp to your current decor to help add a bit more brightness.
- Bring in the Green! Indoor plants (whether flowers or green leafy plants) bring a breathe of fresh air into your home. Just be sure to water them regularly so you don’t end up with brown, wilting plants 🙂
Have any other simple “home-brightening” tips? Please share them with us! email@example.com
We are excited to Spring Forward in a few weeks and wish you all a very happy March!